Sunday 2 August 2015

Pendant le déluge

Yesterday I cleaned the oven.

If you know me, you'll know that that's not normal. Well, I suppose that the title gives it away: it rained yesterday, and I used the time (after a quick dash to the market) to do lots of the jobs I ought to have done by now instead of riding my bike.

By early evening it seemed that the rain had cleared, and it was time to go out for a ride. I was wrong. Well, wrong in my estimation that the rain had cleared, but as the photos show, definitely not wrong to go out.

I was treated to an unforgettable show of weather and light that I know would have delighted my brother if here were here. I was reminded of a farmer I used to work for who sometimes took seemingly bizarre decisions to cut grass for hay when it was raining, but in order to catch a narrow window of good drying weather to make the hay.

Timing is all, and my soaked shoes were worth every squelch.

No comments:

Post a Comment